Sei sulla pagina 1di 59

The Rise of the Pearl of

the Orient
Architecture in the American Period
With the Occupation of the
Philippine by the United States in
1898, a new phase in Philippine
Architectural Design began
Schools

Highways Bridges
Government Office Buildings

American Architecture

Ports Markets Hospitals


Arcadio Arrelano (1901)
Appointed as consulting
architect by Civil Governor
William Howard Taft.
A locally trained Maestro
de Obras (Master Builder)
and serve the Army
1901
The Philippine Commission created the Bureau of
Architecture and Construction of Public Buildings
under the Department of Instruction
William Cammeron Forbes
Commissioner of the
Commission of
Commerce and Police
Civil-Governor of the
Philippines
Invited Daniel H.
Burnham to conduct a
survey
Daniel H. Burnham (1904)
Came to the Philippines
to conduct a survey in
Manila and Baguio
One of the Architects of
the Chicago Exposition
(1893) under the
influence of the Beaux
Arts School of Paris.
Revived the Neo-Classic
Style
Plans
BAGUIO MANILA
General Scheme for the Bayshore Boulevard from

street system Manila to Cavite


Water Fronts
Location of Buildings
Parks
Recreation Areas
Parkways
Street System
Building Sites
Waterways for
Transportation
Summer Resorts
Baguio
Manila
William E. Parsons
An American Architect
assigned to implement
Burnhams Plan.
Followed Burnhams
recommendation a style
of architecture that suits
to the tropical climate
And this results good structures that
we still see today.
Jones Bridge
Philippine General Hospital(1910)
Manila Hotel
Army-Navy Club
Young Mens Christian Association
Philippine Normal School
Normal Hall Dormitory
University of the Philippines
The Rise of the Filipino Pride
Young Filipinos who went or sent to the
united states for training in various fields
included aspiring architects.
Filipino Architects
Carlos Barreto
Antonio Tolledo
Tomas Mapua
Tomas Arguelles
Juan Arellano

Juan Nakpil
Andres Luna de San Pedro
Pablo Antonio
Fernando Ocampo, Sr.
Other Architects
Fr. Roque Ruao, O.P.
Carlos Barreto
1903 sent by the
government as a
government pensionado
to the Drexel Institute in
Philadelphia
1907 Returned to the
Philippines
1908-1913 Division of
Building Construction of
the Bureau of Public
Works
Antonio Toledo
1911-Ohio State
University and Cornell
University
Assisted Parson in
designing
U.P. Library
U. P. College of Medicine
Manila City Hall
Manila City Hall (Top View)
Agriculture and Commerce Building and
the Finance Building
Leyte Capitol
Tomas Mapua
1911- Cornell University
1911-1915: Bureau of
Public Works then left
for private service.
1918 Returned to the
Bureau
1918-27 Supervising
Architect
1925- Founded Mapua
Institute of Technology
Faade of De La Salle University
Nurses Home in PGH
Tomas Arguelles
Professor at UST College
of Architecture and Fine
Arts and became Dean
(1954-59)
American Institute of
Architects
Philippine Institute of
Architects
Cathedral of the Holy Child
Manila Hilton Hotel (now Pavillion)
Juan Arellano
Drexel Institute in
Philadelphia
University of
Pennsylvania
Beaux Arts School
Gota de Leche
1917 Joined Bureau of
Public Works
Gota de Leche
Legislative Building (1918-1926)
Post Office Building
Metropolitan Theatre
Negros Occidental Capitol
Andres Luna de San Pedro
1920- Studied in Paris
Son of Juan Luna
1920-24 Chief Architect
of Manila
Legarda Elementary School
Prez Samanillo Building
Crystal Arcade
Fernando Ocampo, Sr
1914 Studied in UST with
a course Civil
Engineering
1923- Studied in Rome
and Philadelphia
Manila Cathedral
Paterno Building (FEATI University)
UST Central Seminary
Assumption College of Pampanga
Juan Nakpil
1926- Studied in the
United States( University
of Kansas) and Paris
University of the
Philippines
San Carlos Seminary
Iglesia Ni Kristo Lokal ng Riverside
U. P. L.B. Old Humanities Building
Pablo Antonio
National Artist for
Architecture in 1976
Architect of the F.E.U.
Main Building and
Ramon Roces
Publications (now
Guzman College)
F.E.U. Main Building
Fr. Roque Ruao, O.P.
A Dominican Priest and
Architect of the UST
Main Building
Finished in 1927 and it is
said to be earthquake
proof
24 Seperate section with
a slit between them
U.S.T. Main Building