Sei sulla pagina 1di 55

Triangle

Usability Professionals Associa4on


Keynote Speaker for World Usability Day

Innova&on for Social Change: Ryan Allis


Ryan Allis is the co-founder and CEO of iContact, a socially responsible purpose-driven company that provides email and social media tools to SMBs and non-prots. iContact has more than 70,000 customers, 270 employees, and $48M in annual sales. Ryan is the author of the book Zero to One Million from McGraw- Hill The founder of the Humanity Fund which invests in high-growth socially responsible companies in the USA and Africa. The Board Chairman of the non-prot Nourish.org. Ryan is passionate about improving the lives of people who are at the boVom of the pyramid (poorest socio-economic group of people living in the developing world on less than $2 per day), Ryan will talk about historical and current examples of innova4ons that have had an impact on humanity.

Designing for Social Change


By Ryan Allis

What is Extreme Poverty?

How Much Do You Earn?


There are now 7 Billion Humans Worldwide...
13.6% of humanity lives on less than $1 per day. (900 million people) 21.7% of humanity lives on less than $1.25 per day (1.4 billion people) 39.2% of humanity lives on less than $2 per day. (2.6 billion people) 48.6% of humanity lives on less than $2.50 per day. (3.1 billion people) 58.1% of humanity lives on less than $4 per day (4.0 billion people) 79.8% of humanity lives on less than $10 per day. (5.1 billon people)

What is Extreme Poverty


Extreme poverty is dened as individuals living on under $2 per day There are currently 2.5 billion people living on under $2 per day This is 39% of the world popula4on.

Basic Human Needs


These 2.5 billion human beings oben dont have access to the Basic Human Needs of: Food Water Shelter Basic Educa4on Basic Medicine

What Is The BoVom of the Pyramid?

The BoVom of the Pyramid (BoP)

4 billion people live on under $4 per day (58%)

The bo'om of the pyramid refers to the poorest socio-economic group of people living in the developing world on less than $4 per day

Design for the BoP


The majority of the worlds designers focus all their eorts on developing products and services exclusively for the richest 10% of the worlds customers. Nothing less than a revolu4on in design is needed to reach the other 90%. Dr. Paul Polak, InternaConal Development Enterprises Author of Out of Poverty

Inuen4al Books

Designing Products For the BoVom of the Pyramid

What is the cost of a landmine? What does it cost to remove a landmine?

Products Designed for Social Good

Cost?

A Whole Dierent Form of Human Factors Design

Water Irriga4on

Water Puriers

D.Light Solar Lamps

Embrace Infant Warmer


Embrace

The $35 Tablet

Example Products
TerraCycle

Inuen4al Organiza4ons
IDEO D-Rev IDE Interna4onal Development Enterprises MIT D Lab Stanford Design for Extreme Aordability Design for the Other 90% Architecture for Humanity

Web Planorms for Good

Mobile Apps for Social Good

The Social Good Conferences

The Social Good Media Outlets

B Corps

What Im Involved With

What does TBL Mean?


1. Financial BoVom Line (Prots) 2. Social BoVom Line (People) 3. Environmental BoVom Line (Planet)
A triple boVom line company is a company that measures and reports on its nancial results, social results, and environmental results. Every year we publish a Corporate Responsibility Report that reports on all three of these boVom lines.

50

Can We Create a World Without Poverty in Our Life4me?