Sei sulla pagina 1di 2

13-0 to Portadown

Pens: Chris Cousens 2
Tries: Andrew Chambers
Con: Chris Cousens 1
The home team scrapped to a hard fought win against Cooke at Chambers Park. Both sides
took the field having sustained numerous injuries in their respective league games last week
and a number of unavailabilitys due to Irelands World Cup fixture. Cooke started the brighter
of the two sides with their backs causing difficulty for the home teams re-jigged back line.
However it didnt take long for the new centre partnership of Neil Irwin and Jonny McClure
to come together defensively. Playing with the wind in the first half Portadown had the first
opportunity to open the scoring, Chris Cousens pulling his penalty attempt just wide from
long range. He had another opportunity shortly after and this time was on target to push the
home team in front 3-0. Cooke continued to test their opponents defence with full back
Gourlay and winger Pollack threatening to make the break through on a number of occasions.
Shortly before half time, young Hooker RJ Greenlee had to leave the field injured forcing the
Ports to reshuffle the front row with veteran prop Mark Neilly coming on to the field and
tight head Lee McClure shifting into hooker. The home scrum continued to have their
opponents in all sorts of trouble and on the stroke of half time they were awarded a penalty
which Cousens duly converted to give Portadown a 6-0 lead.
Playing into the wind in the second half Portadown ran the ball with more purpose bringing
the wide trio of Chambers, Purvis and debutante winger Buckley into play. Chambers in
particular looked very dangerous on his return from a concussion making several deep
incursions into Cooke territory. Indeed it was chambers who opened the scoring midway
through the second half after some good interplay from the backs, weaving his way in from
40 metres leaving several would be tacklers in his wake. Cousens knocked over the tricky
conversion into the wind pushing the home teams lead out to 13-0. Cooke continued to run
the ball at every opportunity and were denied on a number of occasions by some physical
home defence. Pollack continued to look dangerous every time he got his hands on the ball
but had to leave the field following injured midway through the first half following a big
collision with home full back Ryan Purvis. The home pack started to get their maul going and
kept Cooke pinned to their line for long periods. The visitors defence held out leaving the
final score 13-0.
Captain and man of the match Diarmaid O'Kane five try blitz
Portadown 2nds travelled down the M1 on Saturday to face Lisburn 2nds and came away
with a 42 point to 21 bonus point victory. Portadown put themselves under pressure in the
first five minutes of the game and let Lisburn in for an early try. This was the wake up call
Portadown needed and they started to play some great rugby. Diarmaid O'kane got
Portadown's first try after some great forward work. He would add four more tries to his
personal total throughout the match. The young front row of Gareth Reid, Robert Dougan and
Matt Davison soaked up early pressure in the scrum and then started to dominate. David
Thompson soon got Portadown's second try, Jack Orr got another try which was converted by
David Whitten. Both had great games at full back and out half respectively. Some strong
running from centres Bob Gacek and Alan Harra and good support play from wingers Rory

Quinn and Conor Megarity gave Portadown another try for big Bob. Portadown went to sleep
a little in the second half and let Lisburn back into the game but a rally cry from the Captain
O'Kane resulted in Portadown lifting the pace. Danny Alexander and Rodney Blair had a
great day at the lineout in attack and defence. Jonny Hampton controlled things well at scrum
half and strong performances from Luke Bush and Ryan Muldrew who makes a welcome
return from America. Preparation was key to this victory after a great night's training the
previous Thursday evening, keep it up. Special thanks to Shane ( Sid ) Johnson for all the
hard work organising the team.
Portadown 3rd Xv beat Ballynahinch 5thxv
Portadown won 18 pts to 11.

Portadown Under 14 report

Portadown RFC u14s took to the field on a pleasant September morning to play last seasons
cup winners Carrick RFC in their first pre season game at Chambers Park. Both teams
boasting a youthful squad, with good numbers on the bench to experiment with started
furiously with some very skilful rugby on show. Portadown straight from the kick off were on
the ascendency and were attacking the Carrick line but some Stern defence kept the score 0-0.
Eventually after another sustained attack, Portadown where awarded a 5 metre penalty which
prop Adam Liggett took quickly and rumbled over the Carrick line to score Portadown's first
try. Portadown refused to rest and attacked the Carrick line and were rewarded with another
score before half time, when flanker and captain for the day Jordan Robb crashed over for
PRFC's second try which was converted by out half Alex Blakely leaving the score 12-0 at
HT The second half started and continued to be dominated by Portadown when, Man of the
match, Ryan Neill roared through to score from another quick tap from a penalty the game
seemed to be over as a contest. However a stubborn Carrick side came back into the game
and only for a fantastic defensive display from PRFC the score line could have been different.
Upon the last play of the game Carrick did eventually sneak over for a try and the game
finished 19-5 to Portadown. A very impressive start to the season ahead of a long tough
season in the league but this result and performance will give the players and coaches
confidence going forward. Portadown u14s train Monday and Thursday's at 6.45 Pm -8.30
PM every week and any new aspiring rugby players are very welcome