Sei sulla pagina 1di 6

Rocket Lab Report

Kendrik Begaye Academy for Math, Engineering, and Science A2 Mr. Hendricks

Abstract The class comprised a lab for figuring out a thrust engine for a rocket and how high two rockets can be launched. It was a lab that spanned over a few weeks, and involved splitting the lab up into small sections. The hypothesis was the thrust engine would shoot the rocket up to match what the Impulse Letter and number of what the number of the rocket engine was. Half of the results had minor miscalculations of the angles and didnt quite match the hypothesis. In the end, the class had a successful lab. Introduction The class began this lab within a period of two weeks. Mr. Hendricks stated they had to figure out how impulse and burn time of rocket engines work; how wind resistance effects the way things move. Hendricks then explained the different scientific words to learn, understand, and apply to their general physics knowledge. Kinematics, impulse, momentum, drag force, and drag coefficient were the biggest parts of the labs vocabulary. Hendricks initially started out with teaching about Kinematics, or Study of Motion, in order to grasp whats occurring when the rocket is launched. We learned the meanings of what the letter and number of the rocket engines are; the letter indicates what the impulse of the engine, while the number indicates the force of the rocket. This is crucial for understanding what the class needs to begin this lab.

Thrust Analysis What the class had to use to conduct was a graphing calculator to measure pulling and pushing forces. It was difficult for the class, because of how the calculator establishes the forces; it shows the pushing force to be a negative motion and the pulling a positive motion. This was used in a program on the calculator called Data Mate. Paired with the force gauge and the CBL which was our connection we can start our calculations. Our engine we tested was a C-6 engine.

What we needed to do first was to zero out our calculator, then go into the setup mode then zero the force gauge. Once the gauge is at the right angle it will zero out. It wont be at zero exactly, because of how precise it is and small amounts of force will be shown. We ended up recording in second like the karate chop lab and recorded 10th of a second (0.1). The class follow the results by the graph by going into setup mode, time graph, then hit the default setting were we were going to change it between samples we did hit 50 samples. Our experiment length was 5 seconds in total. We also wanted to trigger the moment the rocket engine pushes force on the force gauge. We pushed on 11 Newtons on the scale and our graph looks somewhat like this:

Drag Force The class had to use an instrument called a wind tunnel. We put a rocket inside the tunnel, and then calculated the wind resistance for the rocket.

The difficulty with this was the wind tunnel was broken; meaning the gauge inside to calculate the resistance didnt work. So we had to use the knowledge to figure out the wind resistance on our own. The class had another instrument to calculate the speed of the wind is traveling. So we added that into the wind tunnel as well, so the calculation can be made. There was a honeycomb structure at the front of the tunnel that was used to make the flow of the air more accurate and directs it to the rocket. The class had a hard time with the positioning of the rocket when the wind tunnel was activated; it always moved to the side of the tunnel and not to the middle.

Flight Results Once all of the assumption we predicted and the hypothesis was made, the class was ready to launch both rockets and measure the height of their launch. We went to the cottonwood soccer field with a larger area, in case the when the rock is accelerating downward the rocket can be retrieved. After hooking up the rocket to the necessary equipment and placing it to the launch pad we needed angles, In order to accomplish this, three students were the data keeper. They were using protractors, which had a weight on the bottom with a string attached to it.

they were positioned around with 120 away from each other. The students stood at a distance away from the rocket. Their job was to calculated the angles. Once the rocket was viewed to a falling distance those particular student immediately measured those angles this job was crucial to get accurate measurements. Each student got six angles those were 60, 20, and 84 for rocket 1 and 67, 82, and 88 for rocket 2.

Conclusion If we compare the heights prediction with the final result we will realize that we made mistakes and gave the class bad results. As a class we predicted that the blue rocket with a B-6 engine would reach a height of 192 meters. We calculated with the spreadsheets from Mr. Hendricks webpage to find everything for the rockets, and for the white rocket we had a prediction of 216 meters with a C-6 engine. We launched the rockets to see if our prediction held strong we have volunteers holding protractors measuring the angles of the rockets (60, 20, and 84) with an average of 55 for the final results for the blue rocket. For our white

rocket we had (67, 82, and 88) with an average of 79. Our predictions didnt match out final results for the blue B-6 rocket maybe because of in accurate. Next time we might consider a better weather to launch rockets, and have more volunteers for measurement angles.

Reflection By doing this project I had a better understanding how many different acts of force are being acted on the rocket, by using different tools like the protractor and graphing calculator. It also helped me more to understand kinematics and impulse. I had some difficulties with setting up the projects picture outlines, but had better time using the equations. The most challenging thing about this project was the numerical model section, with finding the different numbers on the Excel chart.