Sei sulla pagina 1di 1

The New International, 1934-1940

Founded as the organ of the American Trotskyist group, the Communist League of America, which formed out of a split from the Communist Party. In 1935, the CLA merged with the American Workers Party to form the Workers Party of the U.S. The journal was suspended in 1936, when the Trotskyists joined the Socialist Party. It recommenced publication in 1938, when they withdrew from the Socialist Party, forming the Socialist Workers Party. In the spring of 1940, a minority, petty-bourgeois opposition split from the SWP, organized itself under the name Workers Party, and took the magazine with them. This organization changed its name to the Independent Socialist League after April 1949. Throughout these political changes, the formal publisher of the magazine was the New International Publishing Company (except for the first year, 1934, when it was the New International Publishing Association).